Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Single Moms in the News


I’m tired.

I really am. I have been working feverishly to promote the single mom support network throughout Kansas City so that more moms can take advantage of resources available. Thankfully, I have great help in my talented niece Tasia Brooks and one of the smartest women I know – Cheryle Woods. I also appreciate the help of all of the volunteers in Kansas City. There is still so much work involved in creating the support infrastructure that is needed and I won’t stop until we’re well on our way.

Supporting single moms and their journey toward raising healthy young people has been a personal passion of mine for many years. I have spent most of my adult life as a single mother and know first-hand the challenges associated with raising kids, working full-time, continuing education and yes – having a boyfriend or two along the way. It’s tough.

That’s why Sisters Helping Sisters is necessary. Old news– it’s my part of my destiny to create this network. Nothing new, nothing shocking about that.

However, what I do find shocking is the new spotlight on single mothers lately. Surely much of the attention is due to the recent study by the National Center for Health Statistics Report on Childbirth, but I think much more is at play. Single mothers have been on society’s sidelines for many years. Moral beliefs aside, society has never really known where to place women responsible for raising children alone. For years people thought that single mothers looked a certain way and lived in certain zip codes. Not so. Likewise, many have just stuffed single mothers into a society imposed box labeled: “poor”, “welfare recipient”, “wanton”, “loose” and worse! But this new attention on the plight and experiences of single moms is showing the many faces of women raising children alone. That I find refreshing!

For all of those emails accusing me of not esteeming marriage highly enough, I say a loud and resounding “Whatever!” I believe that a healthy two-parent family is an ideal setting for child-rearing (notice I said “healthy”). That’s why I remarried, it enriched my (and my son’s) life. However, I do not and will never believe that a single woman cannot raise healthy, well-adjusted children on her own. That’s all there is to it.

So it is time to get over how women become single moms and start uniting as a community to provide resources, tools for success and assistance to those who are raising tomorrow’s citizens.


What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Bravo, Teri!! Very well stated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! As a single parent I can relate. I have set standards for my children so that they can strive to be better. When they get older and its time for them to make decisions (especially furthering their education), I want them to think about what I've done. I want them to say, "if my mother can do it with two babies, surely I can do it". You have encouraged me!

    ReplyDelete