Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ah-Choo...Be Careful, Not Crazy


As you well know, the Swine Flu is raising a great deal of concern in the news. I’m glad information about it is surfacing so that I can protect myself and my family. It is good to be educated and knowledgeable. However, the media is teetering on the line between educating us and scaring us to the point of manic distraction. Aside from the flu, a lot of folks in my social circle are enduring colds and allergies. In fact, as I pen this blog entry, I am in bed with a nasty case of bronchitis. My soupy cough is the result of a lingering sinus infection. Go figure. Anyhoo, I went to the doc a few days ago where I was diagnosed, treated and at peace with my path to wellness…that is until I began watching television today.

A self-proclaimed news junkie, I am spending my “sick in bed” time watching the twenty-four hour news networks. I love the developing political stories and pundits spouting their opinions. But surprisingly, politics is not as much in the news as the Swine Flu! It’s shocking that almost every news station is discussing the flu in one form or another. Each segment, each interview gets scarier and more alarming that the first. Slowly my peace of mind [about my own cough] begins to dwindle. “Do I have it?” Thankfully, sanity prevails over panic and I remember that I simply have is a sinus infection and a little bronchitis. That’s it! No need for a masks or quarantine just yet!

As you know, when it comes to the press, you’ve got to take the meat and leave the bones. If not careful, you can easily become paranoid after hearing stories of economic troubles, murders and yes, flu outbreaks. In this latest case of the Bird Flu…I mean the Swine Flu… professionals advise to basically wash your hands frequently, cover your mouth when coughing and stay home if when sick with fevers, sore throats and coughs. Oh yeah, the president says to wash your hands after you shake. That wouldn’t go over so well in my world, but good advice.

For more information, check out CNN’s FAQ at http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/27/cnn-answers-your-faqs-on-swine-flu/

No comments:

Post a Comment