Friday, March 6, 2009

Racial Stuff - Get Over It!!!


A few days ago, someone offered a word of advice about Sisters Helping Sisters, the women’s organization I oversee. Let me premise the forthcoming by saying the person meant no harm whatsoever. Here’s how it played out. Innocently, they asked me: “Why do you have so many pictures of ________ people on your website”? I’ll leave the blank to your imagination. However, you should know that it relates to one’s ethnicity. The well-intentioned person went on to advise that the images may “run off” women of other races because they may not want to associate with women of other cultures.

Poppycock, I say.

I have been involved in single mom networks for almost ten years. One thing I have learned is that the struggles of single mothers are more similar than they are different. Regardless of economic status, ethnicity or zip code, most every single mom struggles with issues regarding their time (too little of it), ample opportunities to care for themselves and balancing outside relationships with the demands of motherhood. Other issues may include: finances, maintaining a healthy self-image and moving beyond past pain. I dare not compartmentalize the Single Mom Empowerment Groups based on one narrow racial group or zip code. I work very hard and make personal sacrifices to provide the resource for all single moms.

So, the Single Mom Empowerment Group in Kansas City is for everyone. All women parenting alone are welcome and the images on our marketing materials will always be reflective of the entire community we live in and serve.
Just as I told my friend, “it’s time to get over it, don’t you think?”

No comments:

Post a Comment