Thursday, January 29, 2009

Don't Listen to Crazy People

Don’t Listen to Crazy People

From the beginning of time, people have had their opinions about single mothers. Hey, even I’m no different. I have said it before and I’ll say it again: I think that it is irresponsible to have unprotected sex and, thereby, create children that one cannot afford to raise effectively. For that matter, I ALSO think it is irresponsible to marry the first jerk that asks you (I’m guilty of that one!!!!). So, we all have our opinions – and blunders.

However, NONE of us are in a position to judge anyone else. Like me, you’ve made mistakes too. We can do one thing, however, we can warn other women to not make the same bad choices that we made. Warn, not judge.

There has been a ton of press about a popular conservative author and political commentator. She has been spewing judgments about people in life situations in which she can never relate. I say, don’t listen, single mom!

Choose to hear life lessons from those who care about you and your challenges. Most importantly, learn from your own mistakes (and victories, for that matter). But do not let people box you into a category because of your choices, economic status or color of your skin. Further don’t box either. Never box yourself into a life that you do not want. At any given moment in your life, you can make changes to improve. It’s possible.

People do it everyday.

For me it was returning to school so that I could earn enough money to care for my son. I also aggressively learned computer skills [online] so that I could get better jobs and more pay. Heck, I learned html online so that I could create a “side” business and send my son to private school! It didn’t cost me a dime to learn those skills! Because I did I not only made more money, but I also created a website that reaches hundreds of single moms each day!

Also I had one son. I purposely decided NOT to have more children as a single mom because I knew I could not afford them. I took control of my life and you can too. I’m not perfect – far from it. But I’m smart enough to know that I am in control of my destiny and not a bunch of “nay-sayers”, critics, and silly elitist authors.

Don’t listen to the crazy people single mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment